Friday, April 11, 2008

In Honor of SAAM...

Written on Friday, April 11, 2008 in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), a cause about which my best new friend Xavier Pierre (Zay) is quite passionately active and vocal. He has inspired so many of those I know and love to share their voice on this issue that I wanted to let my voice be heard as well. Little do we know what we are truly starting when we start anything at all...nice going Zay!

ENTITLED?

From where does it come?
That sense of being entitled to me you possess.
I am not yours.
I am mine.
I belong to me.

With total authority you enter me.
Your lack of consideration for what’s good for me never ceases to astound.
It’s all about you.
It’s not about me.
It’s your world.

Without permission you overwhelm.
You take all you want though none of what you take is yours.
I am here, but not.
I wish me away.
I am here.

Suddenly you come; then go.
Leaving me to try to separate myself from what you leave behind.
In your wake -- a shell.
In the darkness -- devastation.
Inside -- nothing.

Forever has lasted so long.
Surprised to discover forever is not the same as always; forever has finally ended.
Always is my new beginning.
Always has restored me.
Always I will be.

I am not yours.
I am mine.
I belong to me.

© Sharon J. All Rights Reserved 2008

8 comments:

La Reine said...

I go out looking for poetry and I find it.

Deep

Mizrepresent said...

I applaud you!

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Sharon,

I am so deeply moved to tears that I am at a true loss for words. You and those that come and share their gifts here give me such hope and such encouragement that I dare dream a world void of sexual violence. You my Sister are a master wordsmith. I bow to your talents and bend in prayer for your continued talents.

Sharon shares said...

@ all: Thank you for your comments and your compliments.

@ Lovebabz: This piece though inspired by Xavier's example, is a creation of my own personal experience with sexual assault as well as my perception of your experience with this issue as told by you. I was telling a friend earlier today that I had been surprised to find how different what I ended up writing was from what I sat down to write. As I read it again now, I see both you and I, our individual and collective experiences with sexual assault, and the bottomless pool of hope and optimism that bounds us to each other as the underlying motivation behind this piece.

I tell you sistah, one of these days the stars will align just right and you and I will meet and the world will be forever changed ;)

Xave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xave said...

Sharon,

This poem is such a powerful testament as you shine a light on the way. Survival is within every victim's grasp but being an overcomer is God's Will for all survivors. Thanks sharing this message of hope.

Peace and Love,

Alizé (LoversA.blogspot.com)

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Sharon,

Yes indeed! Our will alone will bring us together. It's not if...but when!

CapCity said...

Wow! Always good to hear your creative voice, Sis...