Friday, September 12, 2008

Poem: "Chemistry"

I am the solitary Albatross
Soaring high, mighty, and free
I am the Solitary albatross
Flying solo above a world undeserving of me
I AM the solitary albatross
Born to fly well above other birds of the sea
I am the solitary albatross
Condescending to reveal what I want you to see.

Nesting in the craggy hilltops at the edge of the sea
I depend on the sheerness of the cliffs for more than security
Feigning suicide, I dive from the heights of the highest seawall
Only to spread my giant wings near the end of my fall
I upturn my wings as I head out to sea
Not flapping, I float, I rise... I overcome gravity
I know of flightless birds that dwell upon the land
Like the ostriches that bury their heads in the sand
And the penguins, waddling and clumsy yet too stately to play
Or the peacocks with feathers meant for dazzling display
And even among other birds that take to the air
Whether predators or scavengers flying about everywhere
None soars higher than the albatross or is more regal
The shadow of a single wing dwarfs even the mighty eagle
So flying towards the sun only to perceive
Another flying higher and I scarcely do believe.
Seeking an updraft, I climb higher and higher
Getting closer and closer I seek to inquire
Who dares to intrude on my heavenly domain
And disturb the solitude I so carefully maintain?
Another master of the air? Another ruler such as I?
Two giants circle each other like mirror images in the sky
Spiraling ever upwards putting each other to the test
Until finally the two reflections join and disappear into the west.

Peace and Love,

Ali’s Zay

Copyright © 2008 Xavier Pierre Jr. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Kai said...

ali's zay
this is beautiful! thank you